Matthew 28:11–15 (ESV)
The Report of the Guard
11 While they were going, behold, some of the guard went into the city and told the chief priests all that had taken place. 12 And when they had assembled with the elders and taken counsel, they gave a sufficient sum of money to the soldiers 13 and said, “Tell people, ‘His disciples came by night and stole him away while we were asleep.’ 14 And if this comes to the governor’s ears, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble.” 15 So they took the money and did as they were directed. And this story has been spread among the Jews to this day.
A couple of comments:
- Be very suspicious of coached witnesses.
- How could they know it wasn’t Martians who stole the body if they were asleep?
- Martians stealing the body actually makes about as much sense.
- The story is so implausible that for almost 2000 years, people who don’t want to believe the facts, have been trying to find alternative explanations.
- None of them work.
- Because Jesus is alive! He is risen, just as he said.
Matthew 28:5–7 (ESV)
5 But the angel said to the women,
“Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. 6 He is not here, for he has risen, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay. 7 Then go quickly and tell his disciples that he has risen from the dead, and behold, . . .”
Christ is Risen!
He is Risen indeed.