An Excerpt from Bonhoeffer
“Let not the sun go down upon your wrath” (Eph. 4:26). It is a decisive rule of every Christian fellowship that every dissension that day has brought must be healed in the evening. It is perilous for the Christian to lie down to sleep with an unreconciled heart.
Bonhoeffer, Life Together, 74.
- The Spirit inspired the Scripture.
- The command is unambiguous.
- God gives commands for two reasons.
- For His glory and will to be expressed
- For our protection and joy.
- Do we believe the Scripture?
- Will we obey the command?
- Isn’t Bonhoeffer’s final sentence haunting?
- Why do we risk the peril of unreconciled hearts?
This is how we protect the community of our fellowship in Christ. We obey the Scripture and find in that obedience the key to our own joy and the glory of God.