Wednesday is for Discussion
I want to prime the pump of our minds with a question and start a discussion.
What would we do differently in our churches if we were really serious about raising the bar on what it means to be a disciple?
Here’s a list to prime the pump of our thinking: I think we might start with …
- expecting a greater involvement in reaching the lost from the the very start.
- giving more opportunity earlier for them to demonstrate faithfulness.
- putting them in faith stretching situations earlier.
- emphasizing eschatology–Jesus is coming again to judge the living and the dead. (1 Thessalonians is written to baby Christians.)
- expecting and exhorting them to holiness, love and sacrifice.
- baptizing them earlier than we do (generally).
- preparing them for persecution.
- teaching them the sermon on the mount as the normative goal for their behavior.
- cultivate in them a shema-lifestyle – loving God with all their heart, mind soul and strength and their neighbors as ourselves.
- expecting them to fall and lovingly stand with them when they did.
- always pointing them to the cross not their failures.
Now, what would you add?