“The first and principal duty of a pastor is to feed the flock by diligent preaching of the Word.”
— John Owen,
- Remind your heart every day that this is your job.
- Remind your heart as you study, as pray, and as you prepare your messages.
- Remind your heart as you move toward the pulpit.
- Remind your heart as you walk away from the pulpit.
- Remind your heart in the midst of criticism and praise,
- “I am a cook, preparing meals for my Master’s flock.”
- “My job is point the flock to the King not to myself.”
- Remember that this is your pastor’s job and pray for him.
- Do not tempt him with excessive praise.
- Do not burden him with tedious criticism on trivialities.
- Be doers of the word and not just hearers.
- Remind your heart that to do his job at times he must cut so that he can heal.
- Pray that God would give you “ears to hear” and a heart to do the word of God.