Tuesday is for Preaching
“Turn off the television. It is not necessary for relevance. And it is a deadly place to rest the mind. Its pervasive banality, sexual innuendo, and God-ignoring values have no ennobling effects on the preacher’s soul. It kills the spirit. It drives God away. It quenches prayer. It blanks out the Bible. It cheapens the soul. It destroys spiritual power [and passion]. It defiles almost everything.”
John Piper, Preaching as Worship
Make a one week experiment.
Take each of the following phrases and give it just 5 minutes of meditation (more if you want) over the next seven days.
- “It is a deadly place to rest the mind.” Why? How?
- “It has no ennobling effects on the preacher’s soul but rather, cheapens it.” How?
- “It kills the spirit.” How?
- “It drives God away [from our experience].” How?
- “It quenches prayer.” How?
- “It blanks out the Bible.” How?
- “It destroys spiritual power.” How?
Come back and report on your one week experiment. Share your insights with the nearly 700 subscribers to the BLOG.