Monday is for Discussion
The churches of America are weak, spiritually anemic, prayerless, biblically illiterate, apathetic about personal holiness and unengaged with their neighbors at any meaningful level. Are there exceptions? Of course. But the stark reality is that we are almost irrelevant in effecting change of our culture toward godliness despite our numbers. We need to ask the question, “Why?”
We have pickled our spirit’s in the American Dream rather than the Kingdom of God. We have immersed our hearts in entertainment rather than the worship of Christ. We have saturated our minds with trivia rather than Scripture. And we have abandoned the pursuit of the lost for a selfish preoccupation with our own comfort and preferences.
Ten Ways American Christians Demonstrate They are More American than Christian
- They are more likely to live for their security, convenience, and comfort than the sacrifices necessary to take up their cross daily and follow Christ.
- Their lives would be more disrupted by taking away their cell phone (or ipod, ipad, or computer) than if you took away their Bible.
- They more likely prayed more often and more fervently for the demise of Obamacare than they prayed for President Obama himself.
- Like their non-Christian neighbors, they don’t know the names of their five closest neighbors despite the fact that their Master sent them to reach the lost.
- They aren’t tormented by sin.
- They aren’t intoxicated with the greatness of Christ.
- They are more comfortable pursuing the American Dream then they are in pursuing “a cross-bought and cross-shaped” lifestyle.
- We live like our most important citizenship is in the United States rather than the Kingdom of Heaven.
- Our progress toward holiness is impotent compared to the resources available to help us.
- We spend little time, effort or money clothing the naked, visiting the sick, or those who are in prison. (Matthew 25:36) even though the One we call Lord commanded us to do so.
Funny thing about a pickle. It starts out as a cucumber. In the process of its pickling it has no idea that it is being gradually turned into a pickle by the juices it is emersed in. Most Christians are completely unaware how they are being changed more by the culture around them than any impact they are effecting on the “juice” of our culture.
Repentance and revival, not political action and anger, are the only hope for our country. Will you join me in praying for it?