Monday is for Discussion
Luke 9:58-62 (ESV)
57 As they were going along the road, someone said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.” 58 And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.” 59 To another he said, “Follow me.” But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” 60 And Jesus said to him, “Leave the dead to bury their own dead. But as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.” 61 Yet another said, “I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home.” 62 Jesus said to him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.”
- Jesus lived hand to mouth. He was not rich. He did not live in privilege but in poverty. (v. 58)
- Proclaiming the Kingdom of God was the highest priority for Jesus. (v. 59-60)
- Having a life focused on the Kingdom of God is an ambition affirmed by Christ. (v. 61-62)
- Doesn’t this suggest that if we are serious about living passionately for and like Christ that we will have to choose to live a less privileged life?
- How is it possible to proclaim the Kingdom of God if the Kingdom of God is not our highest priority in life?