Friday is for Heart Songs
“What happens in a world that has abandoned its hope for heaven and has substituted dreams and longings that lodge themselves in a world without heaven? What happens, in a word, when a strong transcendent purpose no longer operates upon human lives and human societies? What powers are invoked, and what is lost, when the highest goals of human existence must emerge from the possibilities within life?”
The Eclipse of Heaven, p. 22.
One answer to these questions is simply this:
What happens is exactly the kind of world
we are living in right now.
In other words:
- a world bereft of compassion
- a world filled with violence
- a world morally adrift
- a world that calls good evil and evil good
- a world on a conveyor belt to judgment
* The word “hell” here is used as a metaphor for judgment.