Friday is for Heart Songs
“The average person reads 200 to 250 words per minute; there are about 775,000 words in the Bible;
therefore it takes less than 10 minutes a day to read the whole Bible in a year.”
( Justin Taylor)
Our church is reading the Bible through this year, with everyone using the same Bible reading plan. Last year we encouraged the whole congregation with multiple plan options but we decided to go with the YouVersion “EAT THIS BOOK” plan for 2014. We are only three days in so its not to late to join us in the adventure.
For those of who are Bible reading virgins, there are some helpful videos (4-6 minute videos), available through links on our website that give overviews of the sections that you will be reading at the start of each week. Right now the links for the month of January are up and running. [The videos themselves were produced by the staff of Black Hawk Church in Wisconsin, the originator of the EAT THIS BOOK plan.]
I don’t know how many times I have read the Bible through, more than 30, less than 50. But every time I do, my life is changed for the better. Here’s ten other things that happen.
- I see things I never saw before.
- I make connections between books I never saw before.
- The Spirit of God, throughout the year, brings me to the perfect text for some thorny problem I am struggling with at the perfect time.
- My worship of God is deepened as I see his sovereign hand at work over time in the nation of Israel.
- I have some old questions answered and …
- I have some new confusions created.
- My faith grows stronger.
- My love for God grows deeper.
- My commitment to living sacrificially for others is challenged, informed and empowered.
- My desire to read the Bible through again increases.