Monday is for Discussion
Reality is a significant adrenalin rush when it smacks you in the face. Here’s reality on the US church planting scene.
- We are failing to reach our children with the gospel.
- Most believers never share the gospel with another person.
- Most churches (80%) are plateaued or declining.
- Most church plants grow not by reaching new people but by picking up disgruntled believers from other churches.
- Many established churches lack any kingdom vision and instead are fighting turf wars and running programs for selfish saints.
- Leadership in many churches is so tightly controlled that emerging leaders are frustrated and under-utilized for the kingdom.
- Most believers can not define what a disciple is or how the church makes disciples. Worse, pastors and elders in American churches give barely better answers.
- One survey indicated that nearly 50% of twenty-somethings in evangelical churches believe that Jesus may have sinned during his earthly life.
- Most churches rely more on advertising and marketing than they do personal witnessing for their growth.
- The church seems to be asleep and just continues to do business as usual.
When will reality catch up with us and give the adrenalin rush we need so that we drop to our knees, repent and cry out to God for revival?
Aside: for documentation on any of these 10 points, consult the following:
America Church in Crisis